What is Social Listening?
Tuning into what consumers are saying tells you everything you could ever need to know about your audience – allowing you to say exactly the right thing when you speak.
3 Things you Need to Know
- Social media listening is searching the web and the social space to see what’s being said about your company, your competitors and other topics of interest.
- There are dozens of different ways to use social listening for your business.
- Natural language processing (NLP) is key to obtaining accurate customer sentiment.
What is "Social Listening" for
Are demographics useless then? No – but they’re not the end-all-be-all. Demographics give you a starting point – that audience you assume you have. But when you delve into psychographic attributes you’re often surprised to discover your audience is more expansive than you realized.
How to gain better results with Social Listening?
- Segments of “feel-alike” users – those with shared interests they are passionate about, because emotion is what drives social sharing.
- Which channels your audience is most active on – they might not be the ones you expect.
- The content, topics, and trends your audience can’t help but interact with and share.
- Who your Advocates and Influencers are that drive the most engagement.
- Where is the most opportunity to connect with audiences psychographic attributes.
Social Listening Articles
Accuracy Differentiators: Why Precision Matters in Consumer Sentiment Analysis
There are different approaches to sentiment analysis, a major component of social listening. If you want out-of-the-box results, precision should top your list of "must-haves." Here's why. Precision drives action You can't do anything meaningful with vague results. As...
The Same but Different: Controlling for Language Use When Comparing Bilingual Audiences
Brands across the globe want to know about their audiences – which is why the NetBase platform understands 42 languages, including slang, sarcasm, and emojis. We regularly analyze data for audiences that speak each of these languages – but we hadn't attempted to...
Social Listening Enables Brands to Better Engage with their Audience
As Q1 2016 draws to a close, we asked our customers how our social media monitoring tools have impacted the effectiveness of their brands over the past three months. From new business pitches to measuring return on investments, the layers of insight and understanding...